Aggies sweep Cal State Bakersfield

It’s only fitting that the UC Davis women’s tennis team finished off its best season yet with a straight sweep.

The Aggies shutout Cal State Bakersfield on Friday to close out the regular season with a 17-6 record, the best since becoming a Division I program.

Coach Bill Maze was inspired by his team’s effort throughout the season and is looking forward to the Big West Conference Championships on Friday.

“It’s been a phenomenal year, not only because of our record but because I love this team,” Maze said. “They seem to love to play tennis which is what every coach wants.”

Friday’s match marked the last time seniors Shawdee Rouhafza and Sidney Brady would play a match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center – and the two veterans seized the moment.

Afterwards, Maze had nothing but kind words for his departing players.

“They have certainly contributed a ton over four years,” Maze said. “[Rouhafza and Brady] are outgoing, bright, funny young women, and it’s been great to have them around for four years. They really set a tone, [and] hopefully it was extra special for them to be in there contributing.”

The match on Friday started with a UC Davis sweep of the three doubles matches. The strong play continued in the singles matches, with junior Dahra Zamudio and freshman Megan Heneghan providing the first two wins.

Brady won the deciding match before Rouhafza, freshmen Kelly Chui and Nicole Koehly won their matches to close out the day.

Maze said the mental strength of his team was key in the win.

“We try to concentrate on what we [can] do,” Maze said. “That’s what I’m most proud of. This team has a great attitude.”

UC Davis will now prepare for the Big West Conference Tournament, starting on Thursday in Indian Wells, Calif. The Aggies have clinched the No. 3 seed entering the postseason.  

CAELUM SHOVE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.