CoHo Live makes Mondays a little more musical

Just as The Bangles sing “I wish it was Sunday,” in their 1986 hit “Manic Monday,” Mondays aren’t exactly known for being the best day of the week.

However, that may change with the revival of CoHo Live, a popular event at the ASUCD Coffee House before its renovations that gave students a chance to perform for the general student population. CoHo Live made its reappearance this spring quarter with its first show on April 4 and will take place every Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. until May 23.

The performances take place in front of Swirlz, the coffee shop, among the many tables filled with students studying and hanging out together. Michael Imprescia, a senior who works at the CoHo and was supervising the CoHo Live performance on Monday, said it is great that CoHo Live is back.

“It gives students and faculty a chance to express their talents,” Imprescia said.

His coworker, Tiffany Trinh, also a senior, agreed.

“Musicians, poets and spoken word performers are invited to perform. We hope to continue CoHo Live performances next year and the years after also,” Trinh said.

Imprescia added that CoHo Live isn’t only great for students who want to perform live but also for CoHo customers who enjoy the performances.

“There are always people in the CoHo. It’s great to give them a little performance to enjoy while they’re hanging out and studying. It’s good to begin the week with something that makes the day a little less stressful,” Imprescia said.

David Tran, a senior biochemistry major who happened to walk by Monday’s performance and stop to listen, was captivated by the student artist performing that day.

“I never knew it existed before but it sounds pretty cool,” Tran said.

Kevin LaBarbera, a sophomore political science major, is one of CoHo Live’s past performers. He performed original songs and several covers, including Jackson Five’s “I Want You Back,” on his guitar and ukulele.

“I really enjoyed both times I played. The crowd is small but I feel like you get to connect to everyone that’s there. It’s nice to play for people who are studying and stressed with papers and tests,” LaBarbera said.

Austin Sendek, a junior chemical physics major who has also performed, said performing in the CoHo is appealing for many reasons.

“The main reason I signed up to play was because I wanted the chance to share my music with the UC Davis community. I was also encouraged by the fact that the CoHo is a great performance environment. Most of the people hanging out in there are pretty relaxed, and most of them seem to appreciate the music,” Sendek said. And, as is the motivation for most musicians, I mostly just wanted to use my music to melt girls’ hearts.”

Sendek also performed covers and two original songs titled “Mesmerized” and “The Yellow House on French Street.” According to Sendek, the audience was very receptive.

“The crowd was very appreciative and supportive. I think the girls’ hearts were so melted that they were too emotionally overwhelmed to come up and talk to me afterwards,” Sendek said. “Or at least that’s what I tell myself.”

It isn’t only past performers who are excited about CoHo Live but future performers such as Kenny Mac, a junior communication and music double major. He is eager to show the CoHo audience his musical prowess.

“Performing has always been my passion,” Mac said. “There really aren’t too much opportunities to perform here at Davis so every time I see something like this, I would usually jump on it.”

Mac will be performing a few songs he wrote back in high school and new material as well on May 16. Past performers, like LaBarbera, are quite keen on playing at the CoHo again.

“I told the organizers I’d play every Monday if they wanted me to,” LaBarbera said.

For more information or to sign up for a performance slot at CoHo Live, contact Melanie Tern at mtern@ucdavis.edu .

MICHELLE RUAN can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.