Men’s Golf Preview

Event: NCAA Regionals

Where: Omni Tucson National Golf Club – Tucson, Ariz.

When: Today through Saturday, all day

Who to Watch: If the Aggies want to qualify for the NCAA Championships, senior Austin Graham will be key.

The San Clemente, Calif. native and lone senior on the UC Davis roster won the Big West Conference Individual Championship earlier this month.

Did you know? This will be the third time in the Aggies four year Division I history that they qualified for the NCAA Regionals.

Preview: The UC Davis men’s golf team will be traveling to familiar territory.

After clinching their second Big West Team Title in three years earlier this month, the Aggies will be traveling to the Omni Tucson National Golf Club in Tucson, Ariz. for the NCAA Division I Arizona Regional Tournament. The top five schools and top individual from this event will qualify to advance to the National Championship event in Oklahoma later in May.

The Aggies are seeded tenth out of 13 teams, and this will unquestionably be their most difficult field of opponents yet.

Among their competitors are No. 6 Texas A&M, No. 15 Texas Tech, No. 19 California, No. 27 Liberty, No. 36 Pepperdine and No. 46 Oregon State, whereas the Aggies, with all their success this year, have amounted to a national ranking of No. 48.

The competition seems very tough, but head coach Cy Williams is not afraid. The keys to success appear to be what they always have been with Williams.

“Our goals are to prepare our very best and to compete for 54 holes,” Williams said.

The consistent confidence displayed by Williams seems to have trickled down to his players as well. Tyler Raber and Austin Graham won first team all-Big West conference awards, Matt Hansen won Big West Freshman of the Year award and Williams received Big West Coach of the Year.

“They are pretty low key about it, but I think they are very happy and they know they have a lot more to accomplish this year,” Williams said.

“We are delighted with our individual performances this year and expect to advance to the NCAA National Championship.

“Go to Vegas and bet on the Aggies!”

– Ron Hooper