News-in-Brief: Fundraising scam uses UC Davis Band-uh! and departments’ names

UC Davis authorities have issued a warning to the public to be on the lookout for a fundraising scam involving two UC Davis departments and the California Aggie Marching Band-Uh!

Unidentified individuals are going door to door in the greater Sacramento area asking for money to send UC Davis students in the marching band, the department of music and the department of theatre and dance to London. However, Band-Uh! and both departments say that they are not raising money to go to London, and neither group partakes in door to door solicitation.

UC Davis officials are disturbed by the fundraising scam and hope to alert everyone to the fraud.

“We don’t want to see anyone abuse the generosity or trust that people have toward UC Davis,” Julia Ann Easley, UC Davis spokesperson. 

Individuals have also been selling magazine subscriptions under the guise of winning a trip to London for the department of theatre and dance at Sacramento State University. Sacramento State officials released a statement that said Sac State also does not solicit door to door, and the department is not raising money to go to London.

UC Davis authorities urge the public to contact the police if they encounter suspicious fundraising requests. Individuals can also contact the UC Davis University Development Office to confirm fundraising legitimacy at 754-4438.

– Hannah Strumwasser