CD review: Childish Gambino

Artist: Childish Gambino

Album: Culdesac

Label: Self-produced

Rating: 4

Culdesac is the third album self-produced by Childish Gambino, the moniker used by Donald Glover who plays the role of ditzy community college student Troy Barnes on the popular comedy, “Community.” This 15 track-album was entirely self-produced by Gambino and is available for free download on his website.

Gambino’s style of rapping is very unique in that some aspects of his acting personality shine through the tracks. He raps like he is delivering one, very long, rambling monologue that occasionally fluctuates to the beats of the song. Yet, his lyrics are poetic in the style of Kanye West with a bit less of prideful flaunting that flavors West’s own tracks.

Gambino proves himself to be a versatile performer through the 15 tracks because not only does he rap, he also occasionally sings. His tracks and beats are absolutely amazing, especially considering the fact that he worked on every single track by himself. Listeners can really hear Gambino’s endless creativity throughout the entire album.

A great standout track is “Do Ya Like,” which incorporates a sample of Adele’s “Melt My Heart to Stone.” It is one of the best rap tracks that uses Adele sampling so well, and it fits with Gambino’s rap flawlessly.

There’s no reason not to download Culdesac. Besides being an amazing indie-rap album, it’s absolutely legal to download.

Give these tracks a listen: “Do Ya Like,” “Grind,” “Glory” and “I’m Alright”

For fans of: Kanye West, Santigold, and Tupac

– Michelle Ruan