Diverse exhibitions and performances at 2nd Friday ArtAbout

2nd Friday ArtAbout is approaching quickly. The monthly event for Downtown Davis will take place this Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. -although times will vary among the different events. As always, this event is free and open to the public.

Here is a preview of the galleries and live music venues to check out for this month’s ArtAbout.

Armadillo Music

205 F St.

Armadillo Music will feature mixed-media art by Bradley Owens, with a reception. Owens is a local Davis artist who attended CSU, Sacramento.

They will also be featuring live music from 6 to 7 p.m., although it has not been decided yet who will perform.

Rominger West Winery

4602 Second St., Suite 4

During the month of August, Rominger West Winery will feature the artwork of Marieke de Waard. Waard was born and raised in Papua, New Guinea, has studied in Europe and has a Masters in Art from Kutztown University in Pennsylvania. She now lives in Davis where she teaches at the UC Davis Craft Center and works as an arts commissioner for the city of Davis.

“Her paintings are pretty cool and very exciting to see,” said Stephanie Towne, events coordinator for the winery.

The reception will also feature music by the Greg Willett Jazz Trio. It is from 5:30 to 8 p.m.

Riki Design

202 E St.

The exhibit at Riki Design, a women’s clothing store, is entitled “Flip Side” and will feature paintings and prints from Diana Jahns. It is also an album launch for a local band called The Souterrain. They are releasing their first full-length album and album art created by Jahns.

“It’s a really great partnership that happened because of the ArtAbout,” said Melanie Glover, the ArtAbout coordinator from the Downtown Davis Business Association. “So, that’s pretty fun and it excites me. I really like their music as well.”

Davis Food Co-ops

620 G St.

Visitors of the Davis Food Co-ops on Friday will get a chance to see sculptures made from culled produce in an exhibit called Playing with our Food. There will also be food and wine tasting to benefit FARM Davis. It is $1 per taste and the reception is from 6 to 8 p.m.

Pence Gallery

212 D St.

At the Pence Gallery on D Street, there will be a few different exhibits to view. There will be an exhibit called Horses with works by Jeff Tarbell and Suzanne McKee. Another exhibit is Melissa Wood: Flora, Fauna & Other Companions, with paintings and mixed media work. And lastly, there will be a group exhibit entitled Marking the Territory: A Tribute to Roy de Forest.

Additionally, people will have the opportunity to meet the artists of Lacin/Chistophel Design, who are working on the Mace Boulevard water tank mural and a kids dog-themed art project.

The reception is from 6 to 9 p.m.

Lily’s Boutique

218 E St.

Lily’s Boutique, a women’s clothing store, will feature fashion-themed illustrations by artist Jane Oh. The exhibit will be displayed until August 31 and the reception will be from 6 to 8 p.m.

The Wardrobe

206 E St.

In addition to the artwork featured at The Wardrobe, there will be demos about Natural Skincare products called Bring the Spa Home with You. Art of Anahata Katkin of PaPaYa will be displayed and audiences will be able to enjoy the Sound of Fashion DJ at the reception. It will take place from 4 to 9 p.m.

Ciocolat

301 B St.

The tiny dessert shop will display mixed-media landscape work by artist Judoth Monroe. Her artwork is unique because it features multiple layers of materials that consist of photographs, colors and text.

According to her personal website, Monroe’s “landscape imagery is reminiscent of her personal journal pages, with dominating photos that bleed into abstracted landscapes of color and texture.”

Davis Musical Theatre Company

607 Pena Dr.

At this venue, people will experience both visual and performing arts at the same time. It features acrylic paintings by artist Tessa Hickman, who is just 11 years-old. Her exhibit is called Midnight Painting.

Additionally, the show Fiddler on the Roof starts at 7 p.m. To purchase tickets in advance visit www.dmtc.org.

E Street Plaza

E Street

During the summer months many bands and musical acts perform in E Street Plaza. At this ArtAbout, local Davis band Frankie and the Fablestones will perform. They are an oldies cover band and have 10 members ranging from age 16 to 65. The concert will be from 7 to 9 p.m.

“We’ll be playing for all our friends and family. We love playing in that space; it’s very casual and nice to mingle with folks who we know and care about and who care about us. It’s kind of like a homecoming event for us,” said Frank Fox, singer and founder of the band.

Before the concert, from 6 to 7 p.m, the Fablestones singers will perform a capella in surprise locations throughout the ArtAbout; so be on the lookout for them.

Live music will also be at these downtown locations: Armadillo Music, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Monticello Seasonal Cuisine, Riki Design and Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.

PAAYAL ZAVERI can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.