Many restaurants and bars to open downtown

Out with the old and in with the new will be the theme in Davis as many new businesses are planning on calling the city home.

Food and drink lovers will be delighted by the amount of new restaurants and bars scheduled to open downtown.

Many rumors have been floating around about the future of 228 G Street, the former home of G Street Pub. A liquor license has been posted in the window for Wunderbar Industries LLC, leading many to believe G Street might be renamed Wunderbar.

“Nope, it’s not going to be called Wunderbar. It will still be named G Street Pub,” said Kevin, a contractor onsite who would not give his last name. “We’re hoping to be open [between Aug.] 18 to Sept. 1.”

G Street Pub has had a noticeable facelift as the ceiling has been replaced, the carpeting has been ripped up and the stage has been removed. However, the layout of the bar remains the same.

Fish’s Wild Grill & More is planning to open at 514 Second Street. This will be the second in the Fish’s franchise as they already have an existing location in Torrence. The grill’s slogan is “Just be healthy,” with items such as grilled fish, fresh wraps, brown rice and steamed vegetables.

The owner of Vini Wine Bar, Jeff Day, is hoping to open at 611 Second Street within the next four to six weeks. Vini will be using the Enomatic state of the art wine preservation and serving system that originated in Tuscany, Italy. With the Vini tasting card you will be able to access self-pours from 72 wines (24 whites and 48 reds) in the Enomatic equipment.

While he said he is very excited about the self serve portion of the bar, Day made sure he incorporated a traditional element as well.

“I wanted to make sure people could come in for a glass of wine or bottle as well,” Day said. “The bar area will be a gathering place, with both an L shaped bar and a standing bar.”

While Vini is a wine bar, Day does plan to include six premium draught beers and sake as well. Darkly stained wood, stainless steel and limestone plaster walls will be accompanied by jazz music.

Caffé Italia will be moving from its home of nearly three decades on Richards Boulevard to the former Denny’s location on 4120 Chiles Road. This move will open up land, allowing the University Park Inn & Suites to be transformed into Embassy suites. This will be the fourth business to open in that location in the past eight years.

De Vere’s Irish Pub has announced that they plan to open at 217 E Street, formerly occupied by Soga’s, in September. De Vere has signed a 10-year lease with two five-year options on the 4,800 square foot space. Like the De Vere’s Irish Pub in Sacramento, the aim is for authenticity, as the de Vere family plans to travel to Ireland to gather Irish antiques, pictures and paintings. They have also announced that they will be hiring architects both locally and from Ireland to complete the remodel.

ELLIS CLARK can be reached at city@theaggie.org.