Writer’s Choice: Brittany Pearlman

The best movie I saw this summer was The Help, starring Emma Stone and Viola Davis. This movie had the audacity to lure me into the theater under the false pretenses of being a simple, dated chick flick. Once there, it proved to be an academy award-worthy, compelling film. It really should win every academy award, including a tie for all four best actresses.

I repeatedly listened to Adele’s self-entitled album for at least three consecutive months this summer. She has the rare and pure quality that is uncommon in the music industry these days–pure, unadulterated talent. Not to say there aren’t a lot of great things to listen and dance to but the simplicity of her stylistics and the intensity of her voice not only reinforces her enormous talent but proves time and again how truly gifted this very young Brit is.

Even though it’s technically not a new release, the best book I read all summer was The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. I spent a few weeks in France and Italy at the very beginning of the summer, which inevitably reminded me of the great religious question in my life: which was the best Dan Brown book. Personally, The Da Vinci is the perfect blend of suspense, historical fiction and just a truly fascinating plot with well-rounded characters (even if they’re a little stereotypical).

– BRITTANY PEARLMAN