UC Davis lost and found service updated

The UC Davis Police Department (UCDPD) wants to find a home for lost wallets, cameras, watches, phones and other valuables found on campus.

This year the UCDPD has updated its lost and found system with a website, informational sheet and new safe box.

“In the past about 75 to 80 percent of the items turned in never get picked up,” said UCDPD evidence clerk, Robert Lieske. “We really want people to be aware of the services we offer and to find homes for the items.”

Currently students can view and report lost items by going to police.ucdavis.edu and clicking on “campus services”. Students can also visit the station to see if lost items have been dropped off.

“We have the new information sheet so that if students do not claim their items within 90 days then the next legal guardian (the finder) will take the item off our hands,” Lieske said.

Lieske and other members of UCDPD hope that this additional informational sheet will decrease the number of items left at the station.

Another addition to the lost and found system this year is a safety deposit box located at the front office of the station. The box is a reminder that items are protected and safe when turned in.

“Once an item has been dropped off, a short description is added to our website,” Lieske said. “We want this to be a simple pick up process.”

To avoid returning the item to a potentially wrong owner, students must provide a separate description from online.

“It becomes difficult when we receive iPods and cell phones because eventually the battery dies and we have no way of getting details about the background or music on the phone,” Lieske said. “That is why this system is important for students to know about. If you can report an item quickly enough, the return process can go smoothly.”

Another recommendation from the UCDPD is to label valuables, making the process easier.

“If I see any form of identification I will e-mail the person and maybe even their parents to let them know their item has been found and is ready for pick up,” Lieske said.

Lost items come to the station from three other lost and found locations on campus – the Activities and Recreation Center, Shields Library and the Memorial Union.

Items are available for pick up at the police customer counter Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. at 625 Kleiber Drive.

RACHEL LEVY can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.