ASUCD Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Oct. 6, 2011 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.

Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD president, absent

Bree Rombi, ASUCD vice president, present

Yena Bae, ASUCD senator, present

Miguel Espinoza, ASUCD senator, present

Emmanuel Diaz-Ordaz, ASUCD senator, present

Andre Lee, ASUCD senator, present

Amy Martin, ASUCD senator, present

Mayra Martín, ASUCD senator, present

Tatiana Moana Bush, ASUCD senator, absent

Darwin Moosavi, ASUCD senator, present

Matthew Provencher, ASUCD president pro-tempore, present

Brendan Repicky, ASUCD senator, present

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD senator, present

Ryan Meyerhoff, ASUCD senator, absent

Appointments and confirmations

Cynthia Chan, Kristie Fung, Anni Kimball, Wilson Cheng, Daniel Quintana, Joyce Han, Navpreet Chima, Michael Matosich and Maggie Mae were confirmed to the Outreach Assembly.

Evelin Gonzalez and Kathleen Parsons were confirmed to the Aggie Bound Outreach Committee.

Sabastian Belser was confirmed as unit director of STS/Tipsy Taxi.

Danica Liongson, Kate Lin, Catherine Hawe, Tanzi Jackson and Wilson Sauthoff were confirmed to the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission (EPPC).

Caitlin Alday was re-confirmed as chair of the Gender and Sexuality Commission (GASC).

Moosavi was appointed as senate representative to the Aggie Public Arts Committee.

Unit Director Reports

Sabastian Belser said that Tipsy Taxi has upped its standing revenue by 50 percent. Also, Tipsy Taxi has begun to use the new Tipsy Taxi van. Tipsy Taxi also launched its new website recently, and about 11 or 12 people used it the first weekend.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate Bill 3, authored by Sterling, co-authored by Bae, Lee, Moosavi and Carly Sandstrom, introduced by Lee, to enhance separation of powers between the ASUCD Senate, subordinate bodies of the ASUCD Senate, ASUCD Executive Office, ASUCD Court and the Student Government Administrative Office. Lee said that he really wanted to maximize the amount of people who can get involved in ASUCD. The table discussed including advocacy units to the list. Lee made an amendment that states that people who already hold two positions would be exempt from this rule. In a 9-0-3 vote the bill passed.

Senate Bill 4, authored by Lee, co-authored by Don Ho, Sterling and Thongsavat, introduced by Lee, to allocate $1,008 from Senate Reserves to the ASUCD President’s Office for ASUCD advertisements on Unitrans. Martin suggested that the money come out of Capital Reserves if the ads could be used for multiple years. The table decided to fund the printing costs for this project with Capital Reserves. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 5, authored by Lee, co-authored by Bae, Rombi, Debs Schrimmer and Sterling, introduced by Lee, to allocate $305 from Senate Reserves to reimburse the library administration for canvases donated in the 2010-11 school year. Lee said that they were doing this because the library had originally donated the canvases, but because the project has taken much longer than expected, he does not feel the library should have to pay for them. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 6, authored by Moosavi, co-authored by Leticia Cheng and Henry Chatfield, introduced by Moosavi, to amend the Entertainment Council budget to reallocate the surplus of $875 in funds from the Buzz. Ho said that the reason EC saved money on the Buzz is because there was a mix up with the rental company for the sound equipment. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 7, authored by the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC), introduced by Cano, to remove obsolete references to the ASUCD Judicial Codes from the ASUCD Bylaws, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 8, authored by the IAC, introduced by Cano, to add the Speaker of the ASUCD Outreach Assembly to the list of persons required to attend mandatory management and staff development events, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 9, authored by the IAC, introduced by Sergio Cano, to remove obsolete references to AS Papers from the ASUCD Bylaws, passed unanimously.

Public discussion

The table discussed whether or not GASC should see a bill pertaining to the Students of Color Conference. Because GASC does not have enough members currently, it cannot be seen by the commission until a much later date. Espinoza said that there is no way the bill can be seen later, as the Students of Color Conference is taking place soon. In a 7-4-1 vote, it was decided that the bill would not be seen by GASC.

Sterling said that ASUCD funds the Art Basement Gallery, in the basement of the Art Department. They are having a new show soon and she encouraged everyone to attend.

Rikki Seguin from CalPIRG said thank you to everyone who came to the Textbook Awareness event on the Quad. She also said that Davis got the most petitions out of the other 40 schools that were involved.

Edd Montelongo, chair of the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, announced that the SOCC website is now up, and can be seen at socc2011.ucdavis.edu.

Cano said that election petitions would be available Monday.

Meeting adjourned at 10:21 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. HANNAH STRUMWASSER compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.