Downtown Davis helps women bundle up in style

It is just like Davis to be in the scorching upper nineties during Welcome Week, followed by gray skies and rain just two weeks later. Such extreme fluctuations in weather have a significant effect on students’ daily routines, from figuring out how to get to and from campus to deciding what to wear to avoid soggy jeans.

But adding on more clothing and weatherproof gear doesn’t have to translate to bulky and awkward. Sure, a hasty trip to the Corral to purchase rain boots and frantic scrambling to cover up with plastic bags will undoubtedly happen over the course of the unpredictable fall and winter. However, there are plenty of seasonal clothing options available for purchase here in Davis that are just as comfortable as a summer wardrobe.

Pinkadot

238 E St.

Cutoff denim shorts, sandals, camisoles and sundresses are hard to replace, but this small boutique offers items that help bridge the gap between stylish and functional when the fall chill forces a few added layers. The selection is reminiscent of department store collections, being a little on the pricy side but subject to decent sales as well.

“This is California – we never know what our weather is going to be like,” said Shelli Ramos, the shop’s owner. “Layering is key. We’ve got a lot of cute options in here to do that.”

Pinkadot carries several racks of three-quarter length tops and blouses that fit under their blazers or looser cardigans.

“You want to be able to take layers off, so that you’re not hot when you go inside,” Ramos said.

The items in the store are a cozier take on many summer trends, made of a mid-weight fabric and warm enough to get through the fall.

“This season we have a lot of items that are looser on top to pair with skinny jeans tucked into boots on the bottom,” Ramos said.

Pinkadot stocks oversized knit ponchos with hoods, lined blazers and longer wool sweaters to help create this easy style. Also in the store are dresses for the holidays, many that are long sleeve, longer length and are made out of a thicker material.

Gap

500 First St., in Davis Commons

Many students take the Davis Gap for granted. It’s one of the only retail chain clothing stores in the downtown area, and its location in a gaggle of popular restaurants makes it often simply a business to pass by on the way to lunch. A trip inside the store, however, reveals the extent to which the company has been preparing for the fall season with a vast array of sweaters, puffy down jackets and vests, basic knit layers and jeans.

“We have a ton of different sweaters- cable knit, cardigans, wool. And, all of them are super soft,” said Kauchua Vue, one of the store’s managers. “Every year they are a huge hit.”

Indeed, the store is stocked with sweaters in every corner and wall, suitable for every occasion. They come in a range of weights, from the lighter cashmere v-neck ($59.95) to the heavier, chunky knit boat neck sweater (also $59.95). Colors are mostly muted neutrals, convenient for matching when layering.

Gap also offers a selection of outerwear items to layer over sweaters.

“We have a collection of vests and jackets we call ‘puffers’,” Vue said. “Both are $98 and very warm.”

Just as functional is their lightweight warmth jacket, also $98. On the pricier side, Gap offers a line of leather jackets, ranging from $298-$350.

For bottoms, Gap has produced a sizeable collection of legging jeans.

“Many don’t really like the idea of jeggings because they’re snug,” Vue said. “But ours fit really well, very much like actual jeans. They have actual pockets, not fake pockets, and are much easier to fit into boots than regular jeans.”

The jeggings come in a wide variety of denim-like washes and textures, even including snakeskin. They are also available in corduroy, a warmer fabric for the cooler seasons. Each pair costs $59.95.

Renew Denim

222 D St.

Long pants are almost unheard of during summers in Davis, but fall is the time to break out the beloved pairs that have become staples or, if the part-time paycheck allows for it, invest in new ones. Renew Denim features designer jeans in a complete range of sizes, all of which are sold below retail price.

“For fall we just got in a bunch of skinny and cigarette-leg jeans in all the great fall colors,” said Samantha Ballard, the store’s owner and manager. “We have jeans and legging jeans in rust, espresso, black and in plenty of dark washes.”

Ballard’s store has a wide selection of quality denim that her connections in the industry have allowed her to sell for low prices. Brands include James Jeans, Rich & Skinny, 7 for all Mankind and True Religion.

Renew Denim also carries a variety of soft, reasonably priced knit layers.

“We have a whole shipment of turtlenecks coming in,” Ballard said. “And we can order any color we want, which goes for our v-necks and tanks, too. We sell them for only $20.”

For the rest of this month, Renew Denim will be continuing its partnership with FORCE, a non-profit dedicated to breast cancer research and awareness. By donating $10, or purchasing a used pair of jeans for $10, customers will receive 50 percent off a brand-new pair of jeans.

LANI CHAN can be reached at features@theaggie.org.