Editorial: West Village

On Saturday, UC Davis officials held a ceremonial ribbon cutting to welcome the opening of West Village in Davis.

West Village is a 224-acre project that lies southwest of Highway 113 and Russell Boulevard. Developers hope it will become the largest zero-net energy student and faculty housing community in the nation.

The implementation of green design and technology on this large of a scale is what makes West Village seem impressive. UC Davis continues to live up to its reputation as a leader in sustainable technology.

Since August, many students have moved into the new apartments, which include The Ramble and The Viridian. Despite over eight years of development and planning, it’s good to see West Village finally open. However, at $748 a month for a single room and private bathroom, these prices are hardly sustainable for the average student.

The opening of the technologically advanced West Village follows a lack of university support for on-campus sustainable housing, such as the Domes and Tri-Coops, both of which are much cheaper than West Village. Although the new complex has brought green living to a whole new level, the university should support environmentally-conscious living in all forms.

That said, the implementation of green design and technology on this large scale is what makes West Village a big deal. The housing development utilizes solar-reflective roofing, radiant barrier roof sheathing, high-efficiency light fixtures and added insulation to reduce energy consumption and increase efficiency. Other planned technologies and amenities include a system that will allow residents to control and monitor their appliances via smartphones and a university-Hub (uHub) that will include various research units, focusing on current world issues such as clean energy.

With all these amenities and features, West Village has a lot to live up to. Nonetheless, the goals are admirable and we look forward to seeing them succeed.