Campus Judicial Report

Philosophy of cheating

An undergraduate was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for suspected plagiarism on a philosophy paper after the class reader discovered that ideas and passages from an online source had been copied in the essay without proper citation. When the student met with a judicial officer, she admitted that she had decided to re-write her entire essay and had therefore run out of time, so rather than having an incomplete essay she borrowed from the online source. The student accepted the sanction of disciplinary probation, and also agreed to meet with the Student Academic Success Center for writing help. In addition, the student received a zero on the paper from the instructor.

No shirt, no shoes, no service

An upperclassman was referred to SJA for violating the terms of his previous disciplinary agreement with SJA. The student had been referred to SJA before and as part of accepting responsibility for his actions had agreed to do 15 hours of community service. However, when it came time for the proper paperwork and documentation to be turned in, it was clear that he had not actually done the community service as outlined in his agreement. When he met with the judicial officer, the student claimed no knowledge of those conditions, but with evidence to the contrary he agreed that he had broken the agreement. For this second violation, the student was put on deferred separation status. In addition, the student forfeited his right to do the community service and was required to pay a sanction payment of $150 instead.

More reasons not to procrastinate

A student was referred to SJA on suspicion of plagiarism. Specifically, the student was found to have copied passages from an online source without any kind of citation. When the student met with a judicial officer, he admitted to having taken material from the source, stating that he had waited until late the night before to finish the essay and thus had not had enough time. He agreed to the sanctions of deferred separation and community service.