Good eats: Food Day comes to Davis

This upcoming Monday, schools and churches across the nation will gather in celebration of the first Food Day. UC Davis will be hosting two events on campus.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has declared Food Day to be a national day. A movement for real food has become a real issue, and with the help of many, such as Michelle Obama, it has been added to calendar.

“Food Day is a day to bring awareness about nutrition and production of food in our country. Like Earth Day, we need to think of where food is coming from, because it is one of the most important things we have,” said Danny Friedman, sophomore international agricultural development major.

UC Davis is holding events on campus to support awareness for real food: locally and sustainably grown food.

The first event of the day will be held in the dining commons. Local, student-produced food will be served during every meal.

Following, the ASUCD Coffee House (CoHo) will offer sampling of “real food” from noon to 2 p.m. Beginning at 6:30 p.m., tasting of local, student-made food, will be available. The Flatland Food Collective is offering students an opportunity to mix their own smoothies with a bike-blender contraption. A club fair will be held, centered on food. A photo petition will be available for students, in order to show their support for the real food movement. The purpose of this is to have the UC Davis campus commit to serving local, fresh food.

“It’s really important to consider where food comes from. Food is grown in many ways. Some are negative to the environment and soil, while some are good. Food Day will support sustainable food in the future, and raise awareness to choose whole foods, fruits and vegetables,” said India Mansour, an agricultural sustainability intern.

To help support the ideal of Food Day, Ryan Galt, professor of food systems, will be speaking at 7:30 p.m. Following there will be a screening of the new documentary The Greenhorns. This documentary discusses and values the importance of farmers. The Environmental Policy and Planning Commission (EPPC) is sponsoring the screening of the movie and has purchased the rights.

The event is based upon local donations of community-based food, along with the support of various clubs on campus, such as Students for Sustainable Agriculture, the Flatland Food Collective, EPPC, Campus Center for the Environment and CoFed. All food day events are free for students.

“We have received donations from local farmers and have new recipes planned to try,” Mansour said.

In the end, organizers of Food Day hope it will bring awareness about nutrition, while provoking consideration about the current process of food production in the country.

“This is a nationally recognized day and the first ever Food Day. It is a day to celebrate, educate and gather around food,” said Genna Lipari, a senior sustainable agriculture and food systems major.

DANIELLE HUDDLESTUN can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.