Music spotlight: Butterscotch

You may recognize her from the NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” where she impressed Ellen DeGeneres. Or perhaps, you may know her as the first International World Female Beatbox Champion and the West Coast Beatbox Champion for both sexes. Butterscotch, with “smooth like Butter … hard like Scotch” as her slogan, specializes in singing and beatboxing. Influenced by jazz, classical, hip-hop and R&B artists, she is internationally recognized for performing with a range of music legends as well as performing in as many countries as she can.

Performing in Davis for the first time in four years, Butterscotch returns to her hometown to headline the Jazz and Beat Festival at The Natsoulas Gallery on First Street this Saturday at 8 p.m. The performance is free.

MUSE had an opportunity to catch up with Butterscotch in an e-mail interview. Here is what she had to say:

MUSE: Who are your favorite artists to listen to?

Butterscotch: My favorite artists to listen to are Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Erykah Badu, Jamiroquai, Billie Holiday, Chopin and Beethoven.

What is your favorite song of the moment?

“Moon and the Sky” by Sade.

How did you learn to beatbox?

I had a friend in high school, Natomas Charter Performing and Fine Arts Academy (in Sacramento), who was an amazing beat-boxer. His name is Leejay Abucayan. I thought it was the most amazing thing live. He taught me the basics and I added it to my musical style.

How was it meeting Ellen and performing on her show?

It was awesome meeting Ellen. She was really sweet and performing for her was an honor.

Where was your favorite place to go on tour and perform?

Everywhere in the world is so different so it’s very difficult to pick out a favorite place. But, I really love Hong Kong and Australia. 

If you could duet with one other artist, who would it be and why?

I would love to do a duet with Stevie Wonder because he is the most incredible musician and singer.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years I see myself still touring around the world, composing music for films, producing for other artists and living life to the fullest.

What is your ultimate goal in the music industry?

To create something unique and inspire that anyone with a dream, passion and motivation can do anything. My life experiences, thus far, have proven so.

How does it feel to be back in Davis and performing after four years?

I’m really excited to be back in Davis again. I have a lot of friends and teachers from town who I haven’t seen for a long time. They saw me struggle back in the day and helped me get on my feet when I needed it the most. This one is for them. 

ELIZABETH ORPINA can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.