Davis College Republicans favor Cain for presidential nomination

With the 2012 presidential election barely over a year away, Republican hopefuls wage war for the Republican presidential nomination. Their war, a war of words, ideals, platforms, past performances and future promises, will be won by the man or woman who convinces the American people of their particular capacity to become the next better president of the United States.

Of the hopefuls, including such known political figures as Mitt Romney, Michelle Bachman, Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and more, Herman Cain, the figurative “new kid on the block” as far as the political scene goes, has taken a recent polling lead over his more familiar competitors.

According to an average of polls compiled by realclearpolitics.com Cain has gained a .5 percent lead over Mitt Romney.

Cain’s edge, as many analysts have speculated, his non-political background. That is, as the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, Cain has risen to a polling lead on the wave of his past business experience and his role as a Washington outsider.

“I support Herman Cain and will vote for him in the 2012 election,” said senior political science major Marcus Shibler, Davis College Republican (DCR) chair, a self-identified very-conservative Republican with Libertarian tendencies.

“[Cain] brings a fresh perspective to an office long occupied by career politicians. As a strong conservative who recognizes his primary responsibilities of protecting the American people and maintaining limited government, Cain can bring change … to a country where it is long overdue,” Shibler said in an e-mail.

Gagan Kaur, junior anthropology major and active DCR member, was also in strong support for Cain.

“He has over 40 years of experience in the private sector and is a businessman. Our country essentially runs like a business; someone who has taken failing businesses and turned them into money making machines should have the chance to grow a successful economy in this incredible nation,” Kaur said in an e-mail. “He hasn’t had previous political experience so he is coming in with a fresh, clean slate and without personal agendas.”

Sarah Salvatore, a junior anthropology and American studies double major and active member of the DCR, was less enthusiastic in her support of Cain.

“I have at least one major issue with each of the nominees, but Ron Paul is the candidate who reflects my values most clearly,” Salvatore said in an e-mail. “However, I have to be realistic so I’m throwing my weight behind a more viable candidate, Herman Cain.”

“I think Herman Cain’s most valuable asset is his long and distinguished career in the private sector,” Salvatore said. “He has created jobs, and revenue, both things that this country desperately needs right now.”

With many months to go before even a nomination is secured, however, Cain and his supporters have a long arduous political road ahead of them.

Rudy Giuliani also led polls early in the 2008 Republican presidential nominee process – he was not nominated.

JAMES O’HARA can be reached at city@theaggie.org.