New film club comes to UC Davis

A new film club has been established at UC Davis after the paperwork to become a registered student group was finalized a couple of weeks ago.

The Film Club aims to look at film through a broader angle by discussing film theory and production. This will enable group members to engage on an intellectual and social level while expanding knowledge and perspective of films.

“We started the Film Club because we like films,” said Christina Deniz, a fourth-year sociology and film double major and publicity coordinator for the Film Club. “We wanted to talk about film not just in theories, but in all aspects of production as well. We wanted to have a broader approach on film itself.”

The new film club’s first meeting was held on Thursday of last week at 6 p.m. in Olson 158. Meetings will be held every other week at the same time and place. To get involved, the club encourages those interested to show up to meetings and to visit the Facebook page.

There are other registered film clubs on campus, such as Filmmaker’s Ambition, which was established in 2002.

Filmmaker’s Ambition differs from the Film Club in a few different ways. Filmmaker’s Ambition aims to provide a network for aspiring students who are interested in the process of filmmaking, while also giving students who are not as seriously interested in filmmaking an opportunity to participate in the process, as well.

“Our goal is to not have [the club] like another film class. We want to actually make films,” said Michael Figlock, a senior film studies major and president of Filmmaker’s Ambition.

Filmmaker’s Ambition meets Wednesdays at 6 p.m. in Wellman 26. During meetings, the goal is to work in small groups to make a film that reflects genres or director’s style that was discussed in club meetings, a relatively new idea for the club, Figlock said.

Other clubs on campus, such as the Davis Anime Club (DAC), utilize film as a means of building community from students who enjoy a specific genre as well.

“We use anime films as a means of building community. Many people engage in the anime community online, but here we are able to engage in it through a social club,” said Miles Thomas, a junior English major and president of the DAC.

The DAC, which was established in 1992, is a social club that focuses on creating community among students who are interested in Japanese culture and the media that it produces, Thomas said.

Meetings for the DAC are every Wednesday and Thursday in Wellman 126 at 8 p.m.

For more information, visit the Facebook pages for the clubs.

ALICIA KINDRED can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.