Editorial: Think before you shoot

Women interested in celebrating their 21st birthday at Froggy’s on Second Street are greeted with a complimentary 1.5 fluid ounces of sexism and degradation.

Two parts alcohol, one part whipped cream and the inability to use your hands? Meet The Blow Job, just one example of a sexist culture that encourages daytime intellectuals to remove any visible signs of self-respect once they enter a bar.

To be clear, this is not about whether or not people should drink alcohol. This is not even about the seemingly inherent cultural connection between alcohol and sex. Enjoy your “Screaming Orgasms” and your “Sex on the Beaches.” These references are gender-neutral and part of a much larger conversation.

What should be addressed, however, is the absurdity of a progressive, educated populace, like that of Davis, allowing local businesses to promote a culture of chauvinism. Drunk or not, all patrons should be shown equal respect, and allowed to use their hands when taking shots.

It may be tempting to call a boycott on all bars that choose to promote ignorant gender roles with such obnoxious puns as “The Leg Spreader” or the “Wet Pussy.” Instead, however, The Aggie would like to offer up a solution. The following is our list of alternative shooter names to encourage awareness, empowerment and a good time.

Male Gaze: Alternatively called “Sit On My Face,” this drink, and the feminist term it is named after, serve as a reminder that you are not a sexual object just because you are in public. Combine coffee, hazelnut and Irish cream liqueur to combat the insecurity that comes from knowing your body is their entertainment.

Victim Blamer: Traditionally known as the “Redheaded Slut,” this awareness-promoting combination of Jägermeister, peach schnapps and cranberry juice acknowledges that pejorative terms to describe someone’s sexual habits are often used to shift the blame in cases of sexual assault.

Mutually Satisfying Encounter: An alternative to the “Blow Job”, those choosing this drink are encouraged to consume at their own pace. One drinks this shot, not because it is put in front of them, but because they are a free agent, making the best choice for themselves.

Admirable Persons: Nothing says “respect” like vodka, peach schnapps and cranberry juice. Conventionally known as a “Woo Woo,” this drink allows you to ditch the catcalls and show affection with well thought compliments that say “You are a person that I would like to get to know.”