The world of fashion, version 2.0

Indeed there is an increased emphasis being put globally on style. In both the corporate world and the quickly evolving cultural arena in countries such as China, which was recently declared a fashion superpower by Vogue America, presentation has become the first criteria for judgment.

For certain college students, making a way into the “real world” by using the language of fashion might be the route to take.

With collaborative collections, iconic bags named after them, and front row seats to the most exclusive fashion shows, fashion bloggers have burst onto the scene in a major way a decade ago and the phenomenon shows no signs of slowing down.

And UC Davis has joined the movement.

UC Davis Textstyles blog, run by UC Davis students of the textiles and clothing department, is an interesting read. Currently 11 students manage the site. The blog takes a different vein with every blog post, from a post appraising reality-TV-star-turned-designer Lauren Conrad’s Kohls collection to a post that pays homage to Jason Wu and another that highlights the burgundy pants trend for Fall.

Bloggers for UC Davis Textstyles update their own blog with new trends and fashion news.

“Cupcakes and Cashmere, and Glamourai are my favorite blogs,” said, Emily Bonsignore, a first-year textiles and clothing major and current blogger.

The blog brings much needed sartorial relief to Davis with its small-town-college-student fashion culture.

For Ashley Mariano, a senior in the major, the blog was intended for those who enjoy reading about fashion.

“I co-founded the blog with my friend Ely in January of 2010. I can’t speak for her, but I just wanted to create an outlet for people to share their ideas on fashion and textiles,” Mariano said.

The UC Davis Textstyles Blog is a great platform to discover new trends that are tailored to Davis’ social and literal climate.

“For a rainy day in Davis I go for a printed sweater, chunky necklace, a parka, a pair of blue jeans, and some boots, it’s comfy, cute, and keeps me dry,” said Bonsignore, when asked about every Davis girl’s rainy day outfit dilemma.

Chenise Polines, sophomore, had a tip for shopping on a college budget.

“Being on a ‘college student budget’ just means one needs to know how to reassess one’s wardrobe and create new outfits if he or she isn’t willing to spend school money shopping here and there. Personally, I like to spread out my new purchases throughout the year so that I always feel like I’ve just gone shopping.”

Mariano, who cites Rachel Roy, Sarah Meier, and Melody Ehsani as her inspirations, points out the necessity of some sartorial savvy.

“I really get inspired by women who are both stylish and have brains/are passionate about what they do,” Mariano said.

You can visit the UC Davis Textstyles blog at ucdtextstyles.blogspot.com/.

SASHA SHARMA can be reached at science@theaggie.org.