Arts Week

THIS WEEK IN DAVIS

MUSIC
The Souterrain
Friday, 8 p.m., free
202 E Street
Known for their sweet folksy sound, local band The Souterrain will play a free show at the chic Riki Design on E street. The band is made up of Laura Norton on vocals, Sham Shirley on guitar, David Sachs on double-bass and Kelsey Brewer on percussion. Support local music and businesses by checking out this event.

The Lascivious Career of B Flat: Expressing Gender and Sex in Early Music
Monday, 4 p.m., free
Room 266, Everson Hall
In this free event on campus, the music department is putting on a night of music which focuses on the theatrical explanations to the B-flat note through Renaissance repertoire. Musicologist Dr. Bonnie J. Blackburn will be hosting the event and holding discussions on the various topics.

AT THE MOVIES
A Clockwork Orange
Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., free
Chemistry 194
Entertainment Council presents the free screening of A Clockwork Orange. The 1971 film, which is considered a cult classic, was written, directed and produced by Stanley Kubrick. The film analyzes topics of social, political and economic issues associated with government and culture. Warning: the film features violent images and explicit material.

THEATER/MONDAVI
Salaam Bombay
Monday, 7 p.m., $5
Vanderhoef Studio Theatre, Mondavi Center
Salaam Bombay is a film which depicts the lives of street children living the in tough social, political and economic state in Bombay (today known as Mumbai, India). Krishna is the main character. Through various struggles, he learns to survive on the harsh streets where he is exposed to issues of prostitution and the drug market. This film won an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Film in 1989.

ART/GALLERY
Comfort and Joy: A Celebration of Fiber Art
Today to Nov. 29, Mon-Sat 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fri 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Sun noon to 5 p.m., free
The Artery Gallery, 207 G Street
The Artery Gallery celebrates an understated medium: fiber. The exhibition will feature works such as hand-knitted hats and silk scarves. Featured artists include Lucy B. Della Rosa, Chris Dewees, Lisa Erskine, Julia Kehew, Marjan Kluepfel, Robin Lynde, Sharon McCallum, Vicki Plutchok, Jan Schubert, Connie Taxiera and Sara Helen Yost. Each artist shows their own unique style through their manipulation with fiber as a choice medium.

LITERATURE
Oak Grove Community Cypher
Friday, 4 p.m., free
The Oak Grove Gazebo, Arboretum
Spoken word and ciphering has become a large part of the Davis community. And better yet, its growing quickly. Arguably a branch extending from UCD spoken word group Sick Spits, the Oak Grove Community Cypher group will host their weekly ciphering session Friday. Go with an open mind and you’ll be in for a real treat.

UYEN CAO can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.