Editorial: Let it fly

Over the past year, on-campus radio station KDVS 90.3 FM has been attempting to get a new radio tower that could increase its listener base by 300,000 people. Despite new opposition from local environmental groups, we feel this tower will be very beneficial for the future successes of KDVS.

The new structure, which will be located 150 feet south of the Yolo County Landfill north of Davis, will be built by Results Radio, a private broadcasting company, and leased to KDVS.

The tower was initially approved by the Yolo County Board of Supervisors on Sept. 14, 2010, but complications with the Federal Communications Commission pushed back construction a year. On Sept. 19, Results Radio was granted a one-year extension by the Yolo County Board of Supervisors. Meaning, the tower was approved twice by Yolo County.

Currently, Results Radio is facing opposition from the Davis Coalition for Good Planning. The group is saying the proposed tower will be environmentally degrading and will put birds in direct harm as the selected location is situated on the Pacific Flyway. However, this will be a slight risk relative to the benefits the stronger radio signal could bring.

KDVS has been trying to get a new tower for 15 years. Seeing as the plans are so close to fruition, this minor stall is manageable. For KDVS to progress into a staple radio station in the Sacramento area, it needs to increase its listener base.

In addition, the new tower will be built with new LED technology that will mitigate light below the horizon and will comply with the United States Fish and Wildlife Services recommendation regarding migratory birds. Therefore, measures have been made to make the tower more environmentally acceptable with regard to federal regulation.

The appeal was filed during a meeting of the Yolo County Planning Commission on Oct. 27, 2011. Members of the community has two weeks to comment on the appeals, after which Results Radio will be able to continue in its plans. Hopefully after the comment period, Results Radio and KDVS will be able to move forward with the project and more people will be exposed to the radio station’s unique style.