Monday, April 22, 2024

Student body elects new senators

Last Thursday, the winners of the ASUCD senate election were announced. Six senators were chosen by the 11 percent of undergraduates that voted.

Students elected five BOLD candidates — Jared Crisologo-Smith, Anni Kimball, Erica Padgett, Patrick Sheehan and Yara Zokaie — and one independent candidate — Justin Goss.

Of the 2,810 votes cast, BOLD collectively garnered 2,289 votes, while the independent Goss took 521 votes.

“When you hear about the least competitive election in history, you just don’t go running for the ballot box,” Goss said .

Seven candidates vied for the six available seats this year. Senior Charlie Colato, last year’s Picnic Day chair, was the only candidate not elected. Of the seven candidates, six of them ran under the BOLD slate.

Although some have criticized the domination of BOLD in this election, BOLD senator Kimball, disagreed with the criticism directed at the slate.

“Those who criticize BOLD need to understand that BOLD has done a lot for UC Davis. And if people aren’t happy with what has been accomplished, then I would highly encourage them to take initiative and get more involved in ASUCD,” she said.

In this election, 2,810 votes were cast from a pool of 24,737 eligible voters. During last fall’s senate election, a total of 3,154 votes were cast –– a decrease of nearly 2 percent in voter turnout for the current election.

RICHARD CHANG can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.