Monday, April 15, 2024

Column: Jungle Fever

First impressions: I’m a tall Indian girl, who can seem reserved and awkward at first. However, if you see me at a party where they’re blasting some ghetto rap music, you will probably see me cat-daddying it up. My love of rap and hip-hop music has resulted in a direct correlation to my recent attraction to African American men. Yes, people, I have been hit by jungle fever.

I don’t know what it is, but for some reason I’m rarely attracted to men of my own race, much to mother’s appall. My friend Nicole thinks I am attracted to black men because they are much cooler versions of Indian men, which may or may not be true.

I guess I kind of brought this crazy obsession upon myself. This past summer, while flipping channels, I found a VH1 Behind the Music documentary on Lil Wayne. This resulted in me buying a shirt with Weezy’s face on it and attempting to call the local radio station to win concert tickets.

While watching the documentary, I became even more hooked on Drake (yes, wheelchair Jimmy from “Degrassi”). Not only did I download the leak of his album Take Care (in stores today!), I also pre-ordered it on Amazon just to support him. I’ve got posters of him and he is my current phone background. I’m not crazy, just a tad obsessed. This past weekend I won tickets to see him live in December, so my life is pretty much made.

While doing more channel surfing over the summer, I ultimately landed on BET’s “106 & Park”, where they play the top 10 hip-hop/rap music videos. The show soon became a daily ritual that I would make time in my lackluster schedule for. Something about being able to identify the obscure rappers that showed up randomly in the music videos made me feel like a music connoisseur.

To add more excitement to this ritual, my brother and I would have Rick Ross grunting competitions while watching the music video for DJ Khaled’s “I’m on One.” Pretty soon, it became second-nature to spit Busta Rhyme’s rap in “Look at Me Now” and memorize the songs on ‘Ye and Jay’s “Watch the Throne.”

By the end of summer, I was not only darker in skin tone, but also had a greater understanding of African American culture, or at least rap music. There was only one thing left to do: start scouting out those men.

Many of my closest friends began to knowingly point out black guys to me. They were now aware that my type had shifted from tall brunette men to tall African American men and helped me scout out these hotties.

Most people are taken aback when they hear about my obsession with rap music. I recently came out to my fraternity about my attraction to black men and hip hop. Here was this quiet Indian girl who seemed like nothing more than a hard-working student and now she’s in the living room teaching people how to dougie and yelling about how much she loves Drake.

I’m not one of those girls that will exclusively date black guys, though, I’m still open minded to men of all types. I did get an application to join the Black Student Union, but I’ve been a little too intimidated to turn it in because I lack the confidence to go in there and check it out.

My jungle fever, although recent, has become a huge part of all aspects of my life, as strange as that may sound. I’ve gone from listening to alternative bands like Linkin Park and Incubus to rap music from the likes of E-40 to Childish Gambino.

This music has also gotten me more into dancing because who doesn’t want to take a hip-hop class where you learn to dance to your favorite songs? Not only do I enjoy dancing and listening to rap and hip hop, but I feel like I have become more open-minded through the experience. So next time you’re at a party, don’t be surprised if you see me trying to jerk and cat daddy at the same time to impress that hot Drake look-alike in the corner. Don’t hate, I’m just being me.

MEDHA SRIDHAR loves her dark chocolate. If you want to accompany her to a BSU meeting, contact her at mdsridhar@ucdavis.edu.

1. How did this girl get into UC Davis??????????? Our university needs to somehow screen for complete dolts.

I do not think this is that offensive to African Americans because you just can’t take this girl seriously. I think this is stupidity and this girls views are more offensive to the Indian Community. She is clearly not a very intelligent person and should not be taken seriously by anyone. Please leave UC Davis.

2. I am personally offended by your language and portrayal of African Americans. I am an African American and the melanin of my skin has nothing to do with the beats attributed to a “ghetto” rap or hip hop jingle. The fact that you want to attend a BSU meeting for the sole purpose of finding a man is one thing but to invite others to join in on your ignorance is infuriating. I think that if you really want to impress a Black Man you should take the time to learn the BSU mission instead of perfecting your Rick Ross “grunt”. The fact that you were able to publish such a column as this makes me lose faith in humanity. Black Student Union is a dynamic that was formed in order to make people of the African Diaspora feel comfortable here at UC Davis, our purpose is to educate the community, so for missing you, I apologize. And yes, I invite you to sit in or even apply to BSU but do so to learn, we are people not animals meant to be sought after.

Our culture is not limited to fake rappers and pseudo hip hop. We are a DIVERSE people with a strong history and an even stronger voice. I think that if you wanted to pick someone to idolize on behalf of the black community, choose Frederick Douglass, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, George Washington Carver, Alex Haley, Spike Lee, Hiram Revels, Johnny Coltrain, Marcus Garvey, Carter G. Woodson, W.E.B. Dubois, Cornelle West, Bobby Seale or Huey Newton. Not Lil Wayne, Drake, or Rick Ross- people who seem to contribute to everything wrong with our community.

3. Ok, this is not racist. Being spat on and being told you’re brown because you’re dirty are things that could be considered as racist, and I’ve experienced both. The author was just trying to show her appreciation for African American males and it ends up in this mess? There are generalizations made about different cultures everyday. You can either get offended by every single thing or just take it with humor. I agree, maybe she should have thought twice before using certain terms but it stems more from ignorance rather than full-blown racism. Honestly, this is nothing. Those Metro PCS commercials with the two Indian men have even greater potential to offend people yet my family just laughs along with the rest of the crowd. I wouldn’t be surprised if the author totally changes her mindset about African Americans now, with some of the comments posted on here and the Facebook messages she’s been receiving. I know I would.

4. This is just mind blowing. I don’t know what to call it, immature? racist? sad? I am ashamed to be in anyway correlated with this type of thinking. I am also an Indian female, and I feel like this article poses a threat to stereotyping of Indian mentality. How could you so confidently correlate black males with rap music?

5. this was truly a product of ignorance. Im sure no bad intentions were meant, but this is a true indication of how people have a warped view of any race for that matter. It is discouraging that this type of ignorance still exists especially on a University of California Campus. I hope this girl takes the time to open her eyes and realize why everyone is making such a deal about this..

6. Maybe I should write an editorial on how no one should shop at “Black Friday” sales either because it’s a racist term.

7. I would once again like to encourage all to attend a public forum tomorrow, Friday, from 2-3:30 in the King Lounge of the MU to discuss this column in front of the Campus Media Board.