Davis Farmers Market Cookbook to be released this spring

The Davis Farmers Market Association is partnering with Sutter Davis Hospital and two local authors to release a cookbook featuring food available for purchase at the Farmers Market. For the authors, Georgeanne Brennan of Winters, and former Davis Mayor Ann Evans, the book is a realization of an idea that they first had three years ago.

The cookbook will connect people with many new and creative ways to prepare the food that they buy at the Farmers Market. Aptly named “The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook,” the guide begins with eight basic recipes, followed by four seasonal sections each containing about 20 more elaborate recipes. There are recipes for every cook’s skill level, which is meant to facilitate a deeper relationship between the community and local food.

The cookbook will hit the shelves in the midst of the ongoing local food movement, where more and more people are looking to shop for and to eat local produce. According to Alan Humason, executive director of the Yolo County Visitor’s Bureau, agritourism is an increasing phenomenon within the Davis area.

Of the 7,000 to 10,000 people who visit the Davis Farmers Market on Saturdays, approximately one third to one half of the market-goers are not from the City of Davis.

“People want to come to the source,” Humason said.

The Davis Farmers Market has been known for its fresh-off-the-farm food since it first opened in 1976. It was even named ‘America’s Favorite Farmers Market’ by the American Farmland Trust in 2009.

In addition to the food and the vendors, the cookbook is set to make regular appearances at the Farmers Market in 2012. Starting with a book launch early next year, the market will also host events such as Cookbook Day and monthly recipe demonstrations. There will also be opportunities to get books signed at the beginning of each season.

The Farmers Market is one of the primary sources from which the community of Davis gets its food each week. Not only is it convenient, situated right in the middle of downtown, the market also supports local vendors and helps to keep revenue circulating within city limits.

For those interested in purchasing a copy of the cookbook pre-orders for a signed book will be open to the public at the market on Nov. 26. Market hours are Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesdays 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. through March 14, 2012. The book will also be available in stores or online at Amazon.com for $24.95 after March 1, 2012.

CHLOE BREZSNY can be reached at city@theaggie.org.