Tech tips

As college students we tend to be more selective of the programming we watch. For some, TV programming may not be a reality that coincides with a tight budget, so what is a good solution for being able to experience the entertainment we want on our televisions?

It is called Roku 2 XS.

What is it?

Roku is a small streaming device that lets users stream online content to their televisions. It brings together content from providers such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, Crackle and many more to your television without having the hassle of it occupying your computer.

How does it work?

The device uses a high speed internet connection and hooks up to your TV via HDMI, letting you get high definition content from the internet to your TV.

What else is cool about it?

The Roku 2 XS is a flexible product. If you have an older TV that doesn’t have an HDMI port, it can connect via a standard A/V jack. It can connect to your home network wirelessly, or via an Ethernet port. Plus, it is small, weighing only three ounces, and brings all of your content subscriptions to your TV instead of your small computer screen. It also comes with a remote that you can use to select your content, or play the preloaded Angry Birds game.

So, how much is it?

The Roku 2 XS only costs $99, making it a cheaper and more convenient than a cable programming package, and a great way to get all of your streaming content in one place.

ERIC C. LIPSKY can be reached at science@theaggie.org.