Volleyball preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Pacific

Records: Aggies, 20-10 (6-9); Tigers, 17-11 (8-7)

Where: The Pavilion

When:  Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: While Saturday may be senior night, sophomore Jenny Woolway will be looking to shine in the final game of the 2011 season.

The San Diego, Calif. native is currently second in the Big West Conference in Assists per set with 10.71. Woolway also ranks second on the Aggies with 303 digs this season.

Did you know? Pacific is the only Big West opponent that UC Davis has beaten on the road this season. The Aggies defeated the Tigers 3-0 on Sept. 21, in the team’s first conference match of the season.

Preview: UC Davis will say goodbye to a pair of talented seniors as they take the floor on Saturday.

Katie Denny and Betsy Sedlak will make their final appearance in the Pavilion following distinguished careers.

Sedlak and Denny rank second and third, respectively, for career blocks in UC Davis history. Sedlak is also on pace to set a school record for hitting percentage, at .334.

“Both seniors are players who left their marks [on UC Davis volleyball],” said head coach Jamie Holmes. “I’m super-proud of them and Saturday will be a tough day.”

If the Aggies plan to send their seniors out on a high note, however, they will need to snap their current four game losing streak — a streak that included the team’s first two home-losses of the season.

Despite suffering defeats to both Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State last week, Holmes believes that Aggies can enter this weekend feeling good about how they played against a pair of the Big West’s top teams.

“I think our players should be very pleased with the execution of play [against Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton],” Holmes said. “We should have a lot of confidence based on how we played.”

With that in mind, Holmes feels her team can make some minor adjustments to be successful this week.

“If we can grow up mentally and have that hunger to finish, to execute at the right times,” she said, “that will be the difference.”

— Trevor Cramer