Goon Squad Classic brings entertainment to the Pavilion

NBA stars put on a show at the Pavilion Sunday night in the Goon Squad Classic.

Not surprisingly, the defenses took the night off, as fans were treated to a barrage of dunks and long range three-pointers.

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant did not travel to Davis for the event, while Washington Wizards guard John Wall showed up, but did not play in the game.

Even with the game’s biggest stars not on the floor, a group of current and former Sacramento Kings, including Tyreke Evans and Jimmer Fredette, did their part to ensure that the evening was entertaining.

The teams flew up and down the court, bringing the score to 44-41 at the end of the first quarter.

The clock wound down with the score tied, and the game was ultimately resolved in overtime with a 167-164 win for the black team.

The atmosphere in the Pavilion was exciting, and was something that Kings center DeMarcus Cousins picked up on.

“It was a lot of fun to be here tonight,” Cousins said. “I really enjoyed the chance to play here.”

The game also gave players a chance to play competitive basketball during the current NBA lockout, which some believe may cost the players a full season of action.

This is especially true for Fredette, who has yet to play a game with the Kings, but was able to unite with many of his Sacramento teammates on Sunday.

“It’s good to be able to play with [my teammates] a little bit before the season starts,” Fredette said. “Getting to know their personalities is a good thing.”

The proceeds of the evening benefited multiple charities, including Circle of Success — the charity started by game organizer and Kings forward Donte Greene.

“It’s good to be able to give back to these charities,” Fredette said . “It really helps the community.”

TREVOR CRAMER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.