SHAWCing Tip: Finals Mythbusters Edition

Myth #1: More Energy Drink, More Focus

As exams near, energy drinks and coffee are worn as badges of pride by weary students. From what researchers know about energy drinks and coffee, the extra additives do little to boost your energy. Because caffeine is the active ingredient in coffee and energy drinks, if you get more energy from the latter it’s because the dose of caffeine is far higher. But you don’t need that much caffeine. Low doses (12-50mg) have been shown to improve mood and cognitive function, and 200 mg doses improve alertness. When you exceed 250 mg daily, you increase the risk of incurring health problems that include heart palpitations, high blood pressure, nausea and even insulin resistance. On average, a single cup of coffee has 100-150 mg of caffeine, a cup of tea will have 20-50 mg and a typical energy drink will have 320 mg per can.

Myth #2: No one sleeps, why should you?

There’s a perception that it’s not only permissible, but normal to sleep less during these last weeks. While many studies indicate that college students don’t feel well rested, the only longitudinal study (done through an entire semester) found that students actually get more sleep as the term comes to a close in November and December. Perhaps Rutgers University captured our view best when they handed fortune cookies out to stressed students last year. They all carried the same message: “It’s not the event that disturbs us, but the view we take of it. Keep it real.”

The ASUCD Student Health and Wellness Committee has declared this week “Be Good to Your Body Week.” Check out our Facebook page for more details on how to get free nap kits and vegan energy bars, when to find an open mic night and yoga class, and where to learn breathing exercises. If you have SHAWCing suggestions, questions, or tips, please e-mail us at shawcucd@gmail.com and/or “Like” our Facebook page.