Female Athlete of the Quarter

She was a player who changed the program.

Senior Betsy Sedlak entered the UC Davis volleyball program in 2009 as a transfer from Oregon, and she has been a feature in the UC Davis starting lineup ever since.

With the contributions she’s made to the Aggies, Sedlak now leaves the program as one of the best players in program history.

“She’s an incredible player all around,” said fellow senior Katie Denny. “She’s led this program to a great place.”

Sedlak finished her career as UC Davis’ career leader in hitting percentage at .336 — well ahead of the previous mark of .306 set by Candy Lynch. Sedlak also ranks second in career blocks in school history with 393.

For her efforts, Sedlak received All-Big West Conference recognition in each of her three seasons as an Aggie — including all first team honors in both 2010 and 2011.

This season Sedlak led UC Davis with 124 blocks, and finished fourth on the team with 261 kills.

She also had an effect on the Aggies off the court.

As one of just two seniors on this year’s team, Sedlak took on leadership responsibilities this season.

“She’s a team captain,” said coach Jamie Holmes. “She holds everyone to a high standard and that really helped our team.”

UC Davis will certainly miss Sedlak, but she has left her mark on the UC Davis program.

As Holmes put it after the team’s final game at the Pavilion –– Sedlak was simply a “program changer.”

TREVOR CRAMER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.