Honorable Mention

Many people have trouble staying afloat in water for long periods of time. Imagine having to do it with one or two people always on your back.

That’s what center Aaron Salit did, playing entire water polo matches with someone draped over him. It didn’t seem to stop him, as Salit’s 83 goals for the year ranks third in UC Davis history, and represents the highest total by a player in the Western Water Polo Association this season.

The 6’6” Mill Valley, Calif. product finished his career with 161 goals, good for sixth all-time. Salit had a knack for scoring, especially when the team needed a goal.

Never was this more apparent than the triple overtime upset of Loyola Marymount in the WWPA Conference Tournament in November. With the team barely having enough energy left in the tank to swim back and forth each time, Salit was left alone on the outside during a counter attack. With the clock winding down, Salit fired a laser of a shot to give the Aggies the lead with 11 seconds left.

“It was unbelievable,” goalie Kevin Peat said. “For Aaron to hit the shot he doesn’t usually take, just blowing it by the goalie, putting us through to the championship, it was just an amazing moment for everybody.”

A dominating force throughout the season and his career, Aaron’s play earned him First-Team All-WWPA honors.

— Russell Eisenman