Bob Biggs announces upcoming retirement

Bob Biggs is UC Davis football.

And after one more season, an Aggie career that has spanned more than three decades will come to an end.

Biggs announced on Dec. 1 that this upcoming football season will be his last in charge of the Aggies.

“UC Davis is a very special place where a student-athlete can truly strive for success both on and off the field,” Biggs said in his press release. “I’ve been very fortunate to have been associated with the university as both a player and a coach for nearly 40 years.

“I’m proud of everything we’ve accomplished over that period and I look forward to our first year in the Big Sky Conference, and then stepping away to help the program transition into new leadership.”

Biggs will leave an enduring legacy at UC Davis, having quarterbacked the team for three years — earning an induction into the Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame — before returning to the sidelines as an assistant coach in 1978.

Biggs became the offensive coordinator in 1987 and was an associate head coach in 1992 and 1993 before being named head coach in 1993.

As a player, Biggs was under center during the “miracle game”, when the Aggies scored 16 points in the final 20 seconds, earning an improbable 30-29 victory over Cal State Hayward.

As a coach, the Davis-lifer has always stressed doing things the right way.

From his players, Biggs demands hard work both in the classroom and on the field. This year his players posted an Academic Progress Rate that topped the Great West Conference and also the Big Sky Conference, where the Aggies are headed. With reporters Biggs is forthcoming and friendly, responding as if he had not heard the same questions for twenty years running.

“Coach Biggs’ longevity at UC Davis says a lot about his commitment and dedication to Aggie football,” said current junior captain Bobby Erskine. “His passion and the attitude that is ‘Aggie Pride’ is obvious and he lives it out.”

On the field Biggs has enjoyed tremendous success. His career record of 140-78-1 puts him at second all time on the UC Davis wins list, trailing only College Football Hall of Famer Jim Sochor.

He was the man in charge as Davis transitioned from Division II to Division I, and his coaching resume also includes the most notprious win in UC Davis history: a 20-17 road win over Stanford in 2005, when the Aggies were still a Division II squad.

In his final season as head coach, Biggs will be lead the Aggies into their first season as a member of the Big Sky Conference, the highest level of competition UC Davis has even competed at.

After that final game next year, Biggs will finally have a real offseason; free to relax.

“Everyone at some point in their career reaches a moment,” Biggs said. “I’ve been so fortunate to have had a great career. 35 years coaching, twenty as the head, that’s a lot.”

CAELUM SHOVE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.