News-in-brief: Police officer’s car rammed during chase

Since December, there has been an increase of stolen vehicle activity in Davis, according to the City of Davis Police Department (DPD). Honda and Acura cars have been taken from Davis and recovered in the San Francisco Bay Area. During the same time period, DPD officers have recovered several vehicles, which had been stolen from the Bay Area.

According to a press release from the DPD, last Friday around 1:53 a.m., Davis Patrol Officer Pheng Ly was working in the 1800 block of Cowell Boulevard when he saw an Acura with a matching license plate from a vehicle stolen from Oakland.

When the officer attempted to stop the car, the driver accelerated to escape. Officers chased the vehicle around South Davis at high speeds. Ly chased the suspect vehicle into a dead-end at Benbow Court where he tried to block the suspect’s escape route with his patrol car. The suspect rammed the officer’s patrol vehicle with the stolen car and managed to get out of the cul-de-sac.

The suspect subsequently left the stolen Acura in the parking lot of 3000 Lillard Drive and ran away on foot. He was located hiding in the backyard of 1225 Drummond Avenue and taken into custody. Police found methamphetamine in the vehicle.

Teluluai Francis Lesui, 25, of Oakland was arrested. He was booked at the Yolo County Jail on charges of vehicle theft, evading police officers, assault with a deadly weapon, and possession/transportation of a controlled substance.

Ly was not injured, but his patrol car sustained moderate damage.

– Angela Swartz