A tablet for less

Utility and leisure may not come together at the same time when the consumer’s most important priority is budget. One great option for consumers looking to buy a tablet on a budget is the Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire offers video, music, books, apps, games, internet browsing and much more for somebody looking to get a tablet while not emptying the bank account.

What features make the Kindle Fire worth getting?

Since it is an Amazon product, it offers easy access to all of your content on Amazon. Videos, Kindle books and music purchased or rented from Amazon are easily available on your Kindle Fire, whether it is streamed or downloaded. Although the Kindle Fire only has eight gigabytes of internal memory, Amazon offers free unlimited cloud storage for all purchased content.

How does it compare to other tablets?

The Kindle Fire allows for much of the same functionality as other tablets on the market. It does not have the same amount of internal memory as other tablets, but the unlimited cloud storage for purchased content is an apt alternative. Besides functionality, the Kindle features a seven inch color touch screen and only weighs 14.6 ounces, making it very portable.

So, what’s the price of the Kindle Fire?

Here is one of the most appealing aspects of the Kindle Fire; it is $199. Compare this price to the iPad 2’s starting price tag of $499. At about $200, the

Kindle Fire is one of the most cost-effective ways for people looking to get a tablet, but not spend a lot of money.

What else is cool about the Kindle Fire?

The Kindle Fire offers eight hours of battery life while reading, and up to seven and a half hours of battery life during video playback. The device’s screen also supports multi-touch and is made with Gorilla glass, making the screen very hard to scratch.

The Kindle Fire is a great way to get the tablet experience for less money.

ERIC C. LIPSKY can be reached at science@theaggie.org.