Gymnastics preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State; vs. No. 9 Oregon State
Records: Aggies, 2-6; Hornets, 3-4; Beavers, 4-0
Where: The Pavilion
When:  Friday at 7 p.m.
Who to watch: Sophomore Anna Shumaker is once again a force to be reckoned with after recovering from shoulder surgery in the off-season.

In last weekend’s meet against California, Shumaker scored a career-high 9.850 on vault. The score was good for a tie for first.

Last season Shumaker was the at-large qualifier to the NCAA Corvallis Regional on the vault. Her performance against Cal looks to be a sign that she has returned to her previous level of performance.

Did you know? After five weeks of competition, UC Davis gymnasts have won weekly Mountain Pacific Sports Federation honors four times.

Junior Katie Yamamura has won the award three times and junior Michelle Ho has been the recipient once.

Preview: On Friday the Causeway Classic rivalry will come to the Pavilion.

The Aggies will take on rival Sacramento State in a triangular at home that will include Pac-12 Conference team Oregon State.

Oregon is currently ranked ninth in the nation.

“The rivalry between us and Sac State is very big,” Head Coach John Lavallee acknowledged. “We’re really looking forward to having them in the gym on Friday.”

After a disappointing meet on the road against Cal, the Aggies hope to turn things around upon their return to the Pavilion. But the team will have its work cut out for them.

The Hornets posted a 193.725 on Friday against 27th-ranked Southern Utah, and came up with a season-high 194.750 against San Jose State the previous week.

Oregon State is entering the meet coming off of similar success, beating Pac-12 rival Washington with an impressive score of 195.975. The Beavers are undefeated this season.

“Our goals are really to put out a performance that’s indicative of what we’re able to do,” Lavallee said . “We have our work cut out for us, but we know what we need to do.”

— Kaitlyn Zufall