News-in-brief: Planning Commission chair announces city council run

Lucas Frerichs, Chair of the City of Davis Planning Commission, announced his candidacy for Davis City Council on Sunday.

Frerichs, 32, is a Senior Policy Consultant for the California State Assembly and works on natural resources issues, including water, agriculture, recycling and renewable energy policy.

“I have served our community for more than 12 years in volunteer leadership capacities,” Lucas said in a press release. “Now is the time for new vision, experience, and direction for the city of Davis. We stand at the threshold of a new era in city-state financing, investment in city infrastructure, sustainable budgeting, environmental planning and community caring. I want to lead us into that era prepared and ahead of the game.”

He currently serves on both the Planning Commission and the Innovation Park Task Force. He previously served on the Social Services Commission for four years, as well as on the city’s General Plan Housing Element Update Steering Committee for two years.

He has also served on the board of Directors of Yolo Basin Foundation, Davis Media Access, Saving California Communities, California Center for Cooperative Development, and Acme Theatre Company, and has worked as the elected treasurer of the Yolo County Democratic Party.

Born in New York and raised in Alaska, Frerichs moved to Davis in 1996. He graduated from Davis High School in 1997. Frerichs has a degree in government from California State University, Sacramento and a certificate in Land Use and Environmental Planning from UC Davis.

He will host a campaign kickoff event in early March.

— Angela Swartz