ASUCD City/County Affairs to host Housing Day Thursday

Do you know where you’re living next year?

On Thursday, ASUCD City/County Affairs is putting on Housing Day 2012 in hopes of connecting students with various housing options and relieve the stress of apartment hunting.

“Living in Davis, students are very fortunate in that there is never a shortage of housing. Students are at a great advantage with tons of options for where to live. This means students should be picky, find the apartment complex that is right for them, and make sure their landlord respects their renter’s rights,” said Director of City/County affairs Jeanna Gindi.

Housing Day Coordinator Sabrina Dias emphasized that many students do not know “the tips and tricks” to living in an apartment and Housing Day’s main priority is to provide students with that valuable information.

Housing Day brings together managers, complex owners and representatives to students, rather than having students go out on their own to find valuable information on available housing units for Fall.

“The ASUCD Office of City/County Affairs brings over 60 apartment complexes and other housing related businesses to the campus so students looking for housing for the upcoming year have all the resources in one place at one time”  Dias said.

The organizers of Housing Day hope to provide students with different information regarding looking for housing and moving in to a new apartment.

“We have an information booth in the lobby to provide students with renter’s information guides and many other brochures and pamphlets about moving into an apartment such as what to look for in a lease, how to navigate the waters of a security deposit, and much more,” Dias said.

Housing Day is also offering students special offers and freebies for attending the annual event.

“This year along with all the freebies that individual booths give out, we will have a stamp card. If a student visits all booths on the card and receives a stamp, they can turn in a completed card for a chance to win an 11 inch MacBook Air,” Dias said.

Gindi said that looking for housing can be confusing and difficult for students.

“It is hard to know what rights you are entitled to as a renter, which apartments give you the most for your money, and what you should be looking for when moving into off campus housing. At Housing Day, students can find answers to all these questions,” Gindi said.

Housing Day 2012 will be held in Freeborn Hall on Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

GHEED SAEED can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.