Arts Week

MUSIC
Davis Performers Circle: Katie Henry
Mon., 6:45 p.m., free
Village Homes Community Center, 2661 Portage Bay East
Davis Performers Circle features performers of all levels and styles on the fourth Monday of each month. For the upcoming presentation, Davis Performers Circle welcomes Katie Henry. Paired up with a very rich voice, Henry is known for rhythmic finger-style guitar, mountain banjo and impressionistic songs. In addition to Henry’s performance, there will be sign-up opportunities for volunteers to participate and share the stage floor.

AT THE MOVIES
UC Davis Five-Minute Film Competition
Sun., 3 to 5 p.m., free
Freeborn Hall
For the past few weeks, the cinema and technocultural studies program and ASUCD Entertainment Council have been collecting submissions for the 5-minute film competition. Each video will be centered around interpreting or remaking The Three Little Pigs, Cinderella or Humpty Dumpty. And this Sunday afternoon, the community is invited to watch the screenings of these submissions. In addition to the short film screenings, there will be a live performance by Jordan’s Beard, free Yoloberry for the first 50 people in attendance and ticket giveaways for Steve Aoki and Bon Iver concerts.

THEATER/MONDAVI
Chancellor’s Colloquium Distinguished Speaker Series Presents Michael Dukakis
Mon., 4 p.m., free
Vanderhoef Studio Theatre, Mondavi Center
The UC Davis Chancellor’s Colloquium Distinguished Speakers series aims on bringing distinguished scholars and government leaders to Davis to speak about a varying list of issues. In this presentation, Michael Dukakis will be the distinguished guest. Dukakis served three, four-year terms as governor of Massachusetts and was the 1988 Democratic nominee for president. This event is free and open to the public.

Pirates of Penzance
Friday 8 p.m., Sat. 2 and 9 p.m., Sun. 2 p.m., $15 (students),
Veteran’s Memorial Theatre, 203 E. 14th St.
In this unique production, several UC Davis alumni have put together a play called Pirates of Penzance. The production is full staged with sets, costumes and a live orchestra to bring the dialogue and scenes to life. Be sure to support your local theatre and attend this event!

ART/GALLERY
Basement Gallery Winter Art Show
Today to Friday, noon to 4 p.m., free
Basement Gallery, Art Building
Today and Friday will be the last day to check out the all-student exhibition located in the basement of the Art Building. MUSE congratulations the following students who won awards for their work: Kristen Sanders (Thiebaud Family Scholarship) Christopher Jones and Andrea Fourchy (The Nettie Weber Scholarship), Thelonious Elliot (The Freemon Gadberry Award in Sculpture), Ray Zarnowitz (Freemon Gadberry Award in Art), James Bovard (Maria Cary Anti-Gravity Award), Janet Pinyoborisut (Support for Summer Study Abroad: Art Studio in Paris and the French Riviera), Christopher Jones and Emmeline Yen (Chautauqua School of Art Nomination), Ray Zarnowitz
(New York Studio School Summer Session Scholarship) and Christopher Jones and Emmeline Yen (Yale Norfolk Nomination).

POETRY
Absurd In The Gallery “The Collective”
Sat., 7 to 9 p.m., free
John Natsoulas Gallery (2nd floor), 521 First St.
If you’re yearning to hear some spoken word and poetry from your fellow peers, look no further than 521 First St. on Saturday night. Oak Grove Community Cyphers Rennie Putnam, James Mizoguchi and Laura Harvey will collaborate with Absurd Word Press members Chris Yi, Evan White and Nich Malone to present original prose, work and literature.

Open Mic
Wed., 7 p.m., free
Barista Cafe, Fifth and G St.
Hidden in the corner of Fifth and G St., Barista Cafe is a charming little coffee shop that shelters its guests from the cold. And on Wednesday, the small and quaint shop welcomes an open mic session where anyone can sign up to share their talents such as poetry and instrumental or vocal talents. Grab a nice cup of hot coffee and let the talent pour in.

UYEN CAO can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.