Aggie Digest: Lacrosse

Lacrosse

UC Davis continued its early season success with a 16-13 win over rival Saint Mary’s.

The Aggies moved to 2-0 on the season with both of their wins coming in against Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opponents.

Elizabeth Datino’s six goals matched her career-high performances against Detroit and Bryant in March 2011. Freshman Landry and Morris chipped in two and three goals, respectively and added two assists apiece.

After trailing the Gaels 4-3 in the first 13 minutes, the Aggies answered with the five goals to claim an 8-4 lead. UC Davis led by 8-5 at the halftime, but was unable to contain the Gael comeback as Saint Mary’s cut the Aggie lead to 10-9.

The team regrouped and Datino answered with an eight-meter goal to make it 11-9, but Gaels’ junior transfer Amanda Cross netted three straight to give Saint Mary’s a 12-11 advantage.

The Aggies, then, gained momentum and went on to score five of the next six goals. Morris equalized the game with an eight-meter and Datino scored unassisted against short-handed Gael defense with 8:20 left. Datino added two more goals down the stretch.

The Aggies out-shot the Gaels by a 33-27 margin and won 21 draw controls.

UC Davis continues its road trip with two game in North Carolina. Their next game is against High Point on Wednesday. The Panthers maintain a 1-1 record overall.