Gymnastics Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State, Central Michigan and Seattle Pacific
Where: The Nest — Sacramento
When:  Sunday at 2 p.m.
Who to watch: Sophomore Anna Shumaker was a key performer for the Aggies in last week’s home meet.

The Alameda, Calif. native scored a 9.700 on vault and a squad-high 9.750 on beam.

Did you know? Sunday’s meet will be the third of UC Davis’ four match-ups with rival Sacramento State this season.

The Aggies are currently 0-2 against the Hornets in 2012 and will be looking to get in the win column against Sacramento State this week.

Preview: With just two meets remaining before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships, the Aggies are looking to start building momentum as they head down the home stretch.

The Aggies are coming off a fourth-place finish in last Friday’s quadrangular meet in the Pavilion, but they will have a good chance to better that finish on Sunday.

Although UC Davis has fallen in both of its match-ups with Sacramento State, the Aggies have fared well against Seattle Pacific, who UC Davis has defeated twice this season — including once in the Falcon’s home gym.

Still, the Aggies are expecting Seattle Pacific to battle them tough.

“We’re ranked very close to [Seattle Pacific],” said coach John Lavallee, “and they will be looking forward to meeting us.”

And with only a few weeks left in the season, Lavallee is excited about the intensity Sunday could bring.

“This will be a good test for us to perform well on the road,” he said. “This team likes to be in a high-energy environment. Getting out and running with the horses is greatly exhilarating.”

— Trevor Cramer