Dodgeball Palooza stirs up competition at the ARC

This year set a record high level of participation at Dodgeball Palooza, with over 100 teams competing for a coveted spot on the Activities and Recreation Center’s (ARC) Wall of Fame. Dodgeball Palooza began in 2004, and in 2011, only 76 teams competed.

Intramural (IM) Sports Manager Zal Dordi said that Dodgeball Palooza is a lot of fun, and winners get championship T-shirts and their picture on the Wall of Fame.

Players have the opportunity to play for one of three leagues: Men’s/Women’s league (six players each), CoRec league (three men and three women), or the two vs. two tournament, whereby any combination of players have the right to compete. The two vs. two league was introduced for the first time this year.

“This is my second year. I’ve learned a lot from last year; I’ve gotten three hours of sleep this year as opposed to zero last year,” said IM Sports Manager Zal Dordi.

Dodgeball Palooza took place Friday and Saturday. Players came prepared for competition both on the courts and on the “runway,” and costumes attracted a great deal of attention since there was also a costume contest involved in the event.

“It’s fun reffing Dodgeball Palooza, some players get really into this. It’s all fun and games and I recommend students come out next year to watch or play,” said IM Sports Referee Derek Boyce.

Students and ARC employees alike emphasize the fun and excitement associated with Dodgball Palooza.

“It’s the only opportunity to play dodgeball at Davis, so we take advantage of it,” said junior international relations major Ashton Russo.

Many students enjoyed the event, and said that they would be returning next year.

“The thrill of the game keeps us coming back; it’s a rush I’ve never experienced before,” said junior computer science major Matt Banks.

GHEED SAEED can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.