Yolo Federal Credit Union opens branch downtown

As of 10 a.m. yesterday, the new Downtown Davis branch of the Yolo Federal Credit Union is now open for business.

The new building, located at 501 G St., is the Credit Union’s fifth branch in Yolo County. They currently have two offices in Woodland, one in West Sacramento and now two in Davis. However, according to Christina Blackman, marketing manager for the Credit Union, the site in South Davis will be closed and replaced by the space in Downtown Davis.

“The location in South Davis was not our first choice,” said Clyde Brooker, president and CEO of the Credit Union. “Downtown Davis is where we have always wanted to be.”

That is why in 2009 when the G Street property came up for sale, the Credit Union jumped on the opportunity.

“The property was discussed in November 2009 and the deal was made in December,” Brooker said. “A primary design was drawn up by our architects in April 2010, and after discussions with city planning and the neighborhood folks and our current design was developed from their input.”

Brooker described the design of the new branch as being warm, inviting and modern.

“It fits the times and it fits the city,” he said.

Originally a gas station, the G Street property had to be excavated and made environmentally safe before construction could begin. In keeping with environmental concerns, the Credit Union decided to incorporate sustainable and environmentally friendly features into the building.

The Downtown Davis branch of the Credit Union now boasts glass and porcelain tile made from pre- and post-consumer content. In addition, the roof has been fitted with solar panels, and energy and water usage have been reduced using a state-of-the-art heating and cooling system as well as low-flow plumbing inside the building. The exterior of the Credit Union is outfitted with drought-tolerant landscaping and low-volume drip irrigation.

The Credit Union recently scored in the silver category of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards.

The public is invited to see the new building at the ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house on March 29 from 4 to 7 p.m. Credit Union mascot Penny the Pig will be in attendance, and staff and board members will be present to show visitors around.

To learn more about the Yolo Federal Credit Union and its new Downtown Davis branch, go to yolofcu.org or call (530) 668-2700.

CHLOE BREZSNY can be reached at city@theaggie.org.