Trivia Night to take place tonight at Gunrock Pub

With finals week around the corner, students have the opportunity to relieve stress with cheap beer, trivia questions and fun prizes.

In the third and final installment of an effort to add a student menu and special events for students at Gunrock Pub, UC Davis Dining Services and ASUCD will be hosting “Aggies at the Pub: Trivia Night Event” tonight from 5 to 8 p.m., featuring $10 pitchers of beer.

On select Wednesdays over the course of the quarter, a series of events have taken place to help make Gunrock Pub more accessible to students, including a free nacho night and a live music night presented by KDVS. ASUCD hopes tonight’s event will result in a higher turnout.

“Having this option on campus makes for a great study break where students can hang out with friends and grab a beer and some cheap food,” said senior Darwin Moosavi, former ASUCD senator.

Tonight’s event will be hosted by food science and technology professor Charles Bamforth, and the trivia questions will be divided into such categories as “You know you live in Davis when…,” “Silver Screen” and “What’s in your glass?”

Bamforth, who teaches undergraduate courses in malting and brewing science, readily agreed to participate in the event.

“I try to support student activities whenever possible,” Bamforth said.

Gunrock Pub, located at the Silo, opened its doors in 2009 and remains the only full-service restaurant on campus. Despite its seasonal dishes, products from local growers and good beer selection, the joint isn’t as popular among students as the university hoped.

ASUCD Senator Justin Goss attributes this to the inconvenient hours of operation from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. when most students are in class, and the pricey menu.

“These are major problems which keep students from wanting to go hang out there, something ‘Aggies at the Pub’ aims to resolve,” Goss said.

However, Goss hopes to see more students taking advantage of the on-campus restaurant and pub.

“Gunrock Pub has so much potential. It’s a really nice location on campus, has a beautiful interior, and could really be just a generally fun place to hang out. One of the greatest upsides Gunrock Pub offers is showing students it’s okay to grab a casual drink before you leave campus for the day.”

STEPHANIE B. NGUYEN can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.