Women’s Water Polo Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Maryland; vs. Fresno Pacific
Records: Aggies, 8-11; Terrapins, 10-3; Sunbirds, 4-15
Where: Schaal Aquatics Center
When:  Saturday at 1 p.m.; at 2:30 p.m.
Who to watch: Senior center Dakotah Mohr scored a hat trick last week against Sonoma State.
Did you know? The Aggie defense has allowed just 60 goals in 169 6-on-5 opportunities for a conversion rate of .355.
Preview: After dominating Santa Clara and Sonoma State by a combined score of 26-3 this past weekend, the UC Davis women’s water polo team is set to face off against two more opponents this upcoming weekend.

The Aggies will first square off against some stiff competition in No. 11 Maryland.

Maryland is currently riding a five-game winning streak and has claimed victories over tough competition this season, including No. 12 Indiana.

“They are a pretty mobile, fast team,” said Coach Jamey Wright. “Usually an east coast team will come to the west and suffer due to the lack of competition in the east, but not anymore with schools like Maryland.”

“We’re not going to do anything differently from what we usually do,” Wright said. “We are going to try and execute the same as when we play anyone else.”

Shortly after that game, the Aggies will face off against Fresno Pacific at 2:30.

The Sunbirds will be trying to upset the Aggies to end their own three-game losing streak. Fresno Pacific is still an NAIA team on the verge of becoming a Division I program, but Wright is not taking it lightly.

“Although they are not an experienced team, each game provides different obstacles for us to overcome,” he said. “Hopefully our depth can overpower them.”

— Jason Min