Friday, May 3, 2024

Athlete of the Quarter

Senior Kayleigh Foley has been more than just a standout performer over the past four years — she has been a program-defining swimmer for UC Davis.

This season, Foley won Mountain Pacific Sports Federation titles in four events — including the 200-yard freestyle where she set a school record at the MPSF Championship meet with a time of 1:47.29.

Her performances this season netted Foley MPSF first-team honors in four events, along with second team honors in three more.

Overall, Foley won multiple individual events at six meets this season, including a three-win performance at Fresno State and San Jose State.

“She is so strong and powerful and has a sheer determination,” said swimming and diving coach Barbara Jahn.

But Foley was far more than just a one-year-wonder for the UC Davis program.

The Pleasanton, Calif. native won five MPSF titles in the 2010-11 season. She also netted three Big West Conference titles as a sophomore in 2009-10 and another as a freshman in 2008-09 before the Aggies made the transition to the MPSF.

She was part of UC Davis’ team MPSF title in the 2010-11 season and the Aggies’ Big West Championship in 2009-10.

Foley currently holds UC Davis individual records in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, with times of 22.58 and 49.45 respectively. She was also a member of four school-record holding relay teams.

As the UC Davis swimming and diving team says goodbye to Foley after four years of excellent performances, Jahn sums things up in a simple yet fitting manner: “she’s going to be hard to replace.”

— TREVOR CRAMER