News-in-brief: Judge rules that some pepper spray task force results can be released

At a hearing on Friday, a judge ruled that some of the results from the task force investigating the pepper spray incident could be released.
However, after Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evilio Grillo’s ruling on Friday, part of the results have been sealed, and cannot be released until further consideration of the police officer’s privacy concerns.

The task results were originally sealed after the Federated University Police Officers Association requested a temporary hold on the release of the information last week, which was supposed to be released out on March 6.

The task force, chaired by former California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso, was put together by UC President Mark Yudof after it was requested by UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi.
Before this ruling, the results have been delayed three times. Both Yudof and Reynoso have expressed their dedication to releasing the information to the public.

University of California officials have not announced when, or if, the partial results will be announced.

“It may or may not make sense for us to release the report in a piecemeal fashion,” said UC attorney Charles Robinson to reporters after the hearing, as reported by The Oakland Tribune.

— Hannah Strumwasser