Senate Briefs

This ASUCD Senate meeting was scheduled to begin Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the March 15, 2012 meeting location, the Student Community Center Meeting Room D. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.Meeting called to order at 8:42 p.m.
Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, absent
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Annamaria Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Unit Director Reports
Sharon Coulson, the unit director of the ASUCD Coffee House (CoHo), spoke about being stable after being open for the second Winter quarter since the renovation. She said they were aiming for maximum efficiency and there would be extended finals hours.

The director of Campus Copies spoke about cutting costs. Since 70 to 75 percent of the revenue is generated during first three weeks of the quarter, he had lots of staff during that time, then cut hours after that.

The unit director of Whole Earth Festival spoke about plans for this year’s festival, including a design competition for art projects or spaces where people can sit down around campus and a lecture series on sustainability.

The unit director of Creative Media talked about the new ASUCD website and how the new Aggie website increased online readership. He also mentioned they are working on renovating the wireless in the CoHo.

Public Announcements
Bike Barn gave an update on the Bike Hub, which will be open the first week of next quarter.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 72, authored and introduced by the Internal Affairs Commission, co-authored by Boeh-Sobon, Coronado-Moses, Maemura and Yup, to implement a revised Long-Range Plan for University Affairs. The bill was tabled.

Senate Bill 79, authored by Glass-Moore, co-authored by Coelho, Maemura, Padgett and Thongsavat, introduced by Padgett, to amend the Aggie Restore budget to add a donations manager position to handle donations during the summer. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 81, authored by Martin and introduced by Sheehan, to renew the Special Committee on Student Health and Wellness for an additional year, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 83, authored and introduced by Goss, co-authored by Kapur, to require senators to attend Lobby Corps meetings. The bill was tabled.

Senate Bill 85, authored by Schaeffer, co-authored by Cano, Martin, Sheehan and Sumerel, introduced by Sheehan, to allocate $681.40 from Capital Reserves to insure a bicycle for the UC Davis Police Department BAIT bike program, which aims to proactively reduce bike theft on campus. While some members of the table were concerned about students being charged with a felony, Gilbert thought students shouldn’t be above the law. The bill passed with a 10-1-1 vote.

Senate Bill 86, authored by Martin, co-authored by Alday and Cano, and introduced by Sheehan, to institutionalize gender inclusive language in the ASUCD Bylaws. The bill passed unanimously.

Closed Session

Meeting adjourned at 1:13 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. AKSHAYA RAMANUJAM compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.