Aggies respond at home

After an impressive home stand against conference opponent UC Riverside, the 12-22 Aggies proved that they are a real threat in the Big West Conference.

UC Davis won the bookends of the three-game series against the now 18-17 Highlanders who came into Davis with a five-game win streak. Freshman pitcher Justine Vela was fantastic over the weekend with 20 strikeouts and only two earned runs allowed in the Aggies’ two wins.

Although UC Davis was shutout in the second game, the Aggies furiously responded in the rubber match, winning 9-1 in the shortened five-inning game. The experience from junior Megan Guzman and seniors Kelly Harman and Rachel Miller proved vital as they combined to tally 13 of the team’s 18 hits in the series.

The series win gave UC Davis a 2-1 Big West Conference record to start the league campaign.

Sunday — UC Davis 3, UC Riverside 1

Vela dominated from the start with four straight strikeouts and would not allow a Highlander hit until the sixth inning in the series opener.

The Aggie offense also provided quick run support with freshman Cassandra Ginnis scoring one of her two runs on the day off of a Miller sacrifice fly in the first inning.

Although UC Davis was held to three hits on the day, patience at the plate paid off with the Aggie offense combining for seven walks.

Sunday — UC Riverside 8, UC Davis 0
The Aggies struggled in all aspects of the second game as the offense managed just four hits.
UC Riverside scored four runs over the first four innings to jump out to a 4-0 lead.

Three Aggie errors in the sixth inning errors allowed the Highlanders to stretch their lead to 8-0. UC Riverside was also able to hold off multiple Aggie rally attempts in the fourth and sixth innings to put away the game.

Monday — UC Davis 9, UC Riverside 1
UC Davis wasted no time in the rubber match of the series as Miller, Guzman, and senior Kylie Fan all drove in runs in the opening inning to give the Aggies a commanding 6-0 lead.
The offense would add three more runs by the fourth inning thanks to an RBI double by Miller and an RBI triple by freshman Amy Nunez.
As overpowering as the Aggie offense was, Vela was just as good with six strikeouts and only one earned run on the day as the combined team effort allowed UC Davis to win in only five innings.
“The team really came together in these games,” said Ginnis, “and it showed.”
The Aggies return to action on Friday in an away series against Cal State Northridge.

DOUG BONHAM can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.