Women’s Tennis preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal State Northridge
Records: Aggies 6-10 (2-2), Matadors 9-6 (2-3)
Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center, Davis
When: Wednesday at 2 p.m.
Who to Watch: Coach Bill Maze has cited singles play as the strength of the Aggies’ women’s tennis team, and sophomore Kelly Chui has been a stronghold in the third singles slot.
Chui has grabbed wins in six of her last seven matches and also is part of UC Davis’s No. 1 doubles pairing.
Did you know? The doubles point is turning out to be a tipping point for UC Davis. The Aggies have won the doubles point only four times this year, and they have emerged victorious each of those times.
Yet, the Aggies have lost four matches by scores of 4-3, and in all of those, they won half of the six singles matches but dropped the doubles point.
“We could have won a couple extra matches if we’d won the doubles point,” Maze said. “I think we’ll get it together before the [Big West] Conference tournament.”
Preview: UC Davis played two matches in Hawaii over spring break in preparation for the difficult schedule ahead.
The Aggies will continue Big West competition today in a matchup with Cal State Northridge.
“We have a hectic schedule in the beginning of the quarter, but I think we’re ready,” Maze said.
Despite the Matadors’ 2-2 league record, they, like the Aggies, are a very dangerous team. CSU Northridge downed a tough UC Santa Barbara team in January, though the match did not affect their conference standing. The Gauchos have since beaten both the Aggies and the Matadors in close matches.
CSU Northridge is coming off a 5-2 defeat to 67th-ranked UC Irvine, another Big West rival. The Matadors’ very strong doubles lineup will provide a challenge for UC Davis, who will find no easy matches on Wednesday.
The Aggies will look to begin their push as they progress later in the season, vying for a top spot in the conference.
“It’s a big match for us because it will affect our seeding in the [Big West] tournament,” Maze said. “We get to play them at home, the team’s looking forward to it and I think we have a great shot.”

— Matthew Yuen