Track and Field Preview

Events: San Francisco Distance Carnival and the Stanford Invitational
Where: San Francisco, Calif.; Stanford, Calif.
When: Saturday and Sunday, all day
Who to watch: Sophomore Alycia Cridebring set a career best in the 5,000-meter at the Sacramento State Invitational.

The Pleasant Hill, Calif. native also finished eighth in the Big West Conference Cross Country Championship meet in October as a part of UC Davis’ league-title winning women’s cross country team.

Did you know? With their most recent meet, the Fresno State Invitational, canceled due to weather, the Aggies haven’t been in competition for almost three weeks.

“Last week’s cancellation was unfortunate because we had a bye week before due to finals week,” said coach Drew Wartenburg. “But on the positive side, it gets people healthy and more time for training.”

Preview: All season Wartenburg has been talking about the importance of early track meets to prepare for the important ones later. Now April has arrived, and the UCD track team is set to partake in the San Francisco State Distance Carnival and the Stanford Invitational this weekend.

“The meets in April will have tougher competition and this will force us to step up to the table,” said Coach Wartenburg.

The Aggies will first partake in both competitions on Saturday and then finish their two-day Stanford Invitational on Sunday.

“I’m expecting big things this weekend,” said Wartenburg. “No excuses this time about travel or rest. The stage is set for a big performance.”

JASON MIN can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.