News-in-brief: Students encouraged to ‘Take Back the Night’ during Sexual Assault Awareness Month

The month of April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). In an effort to raise awareness and education about sexual violence while preventing it, the Campus Violence Prevention Program is holding “Take Back the Night” on April 11, from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on the East Quad.

According to the Campus Violence Prevention website, “The spirit of Take Back the Night is to empower and support survivors of sexual violence, raise awareness, promote action to end sexual assault, and assert that it is wrong for people to live in fear of the night … or any time of day.”

Co-sponsored by the Women’s Resources and Research Center and the Cross Cultural Center, Take Back the Night is a program available for all students to attend.

Coordinators also suggest bringing awareness by posting on Facebook, presenting to clubs or departments, getting involved in the Clothesline Project and reading the student guide “How to be Sexcessful.”

All events are promoting a message of empowerment to survivors of violence along with educating the general public.

The Walking Spanish, Liquid Hotplates, The Spokes, and the cast of V-Stories will be performing at Take Back the Night.

The event is open to all students.

— Danielle Huddlestun